View from Chateau Chantal Winery and B&B | Photo by Cheryl Vrabel
Find a B&B on or near a Michigan wine trail. Sip and stay.
Michigan vintners operate their businesses in a very personal way, so it makes sense to start or conclude a Michigan wine trail tour at a Michigan Bed and Breakfast Association inn, each of which also offers a highly individualized experience.
Going clockwise around the state, starting with the Upper Peninsula…. Yes, they make wine in the UP, and the leading tasting rooms are 45 minutes or less east and west of The Farmhouse B&B in Gladstone.
Wineries in NE Lower Michigan are also sparse, but the Sunrise Side Wine and Hops trail goes right past Huron House B&B in Oscoda and within five miles of LogHaven Bed Breakfast and Barn near West Branch.
The SE Michigan wine trails are:
- The Thumbs Up Wine Trail takes you from Metro Detroit to Bad Axe and down the Lake Huron and St. Clair River shores. B&Bs on or near the trail include: Butler B&B, Lexington; Adventure Inn B&B, nine miles south of Lexington; Heather House, Marine City; Cobblestone Manor Luxury Historic Inn, Auburn Hills, and Maple Cove B&B, Leonard.
- B&Bs reasonably close to the nine wineries comprising the Pioneer Wine Trail between Adrian and Lansing include Stone Chalet B&B Inn and Event Center, Ann Arbor, and Munro House B&B and Spa, Jonesville.
To make all 21 stops on the Lake Michigan Shore Wine Trail in SW Michigan, you’d want to stretch out your visit to three or four days. Fortunately, the area is dotted with some of the state’s finest B&Bs.
- Approaching this Michigan wine trail from the east along I-94, you could stay at: Albion Heritage B&B, Albion; National House Inn, Marshall; Kalamazoo House B&B; the Inn at Paw Paw, or take roads less traveled and stay at a B&B in Fennville.
- Lake Michigan beach towns with fine B&Bs to make your home base for wine touring include St. Joseph, South Haven, Douglas, Saugatuck and Holland.
- To combine winery tours with the many attractions of Grand Rapids, consider Leonard at Logan B&B or Prairieside Suites Luxury B&B, or Baert Baron Mansion in nearby Zeeland.
Three Michigan wine trails bring thousands of travelers each year to NW Michigan. The three loops of the Leelanau Peninsula Wine Trail are very accessible for guests of B&Bs in Glen Arbor and Traverse City, And even Arcadia House and Bear Lake B&Bs are close enough for guests who also wish to visit Sleeping Bear Dunes National Seashore.
The Old Mission Peninsula wine trail includes two #MichBnB inns that ARE working vineyards: Chateau Chantal and Grey Hare Inn Vineyard B&B, both on Old Mission Peninsula and very accessible from Traverse City.