Northeast Michigan B&Bs
If you’re staying at Northeast Michigan B&B and can get to Lake Huron or Saginaw Bay in time for the sunrise, fill your coffee mug and go. Lake Michigan sunsets are easy pickings for photographers because most people in the time zone are awake for the sunset — not to disparage their beauty. But catching a Lake Huron sunrise, whose timing varies throughout the year from before 6 a.m. to after 8 a.m., confers an elite status because of the feeling that Mother Nature is putting on a show just for you.
If you enjoy exploring the natural wonders of Michigan, Northeast Michigan is the least populated and most densely forested area of Lower Michigan. View elk herds. Explore thousands of acres of national forest and state forest year-round — hiking or on horseback, on mountain or fat-tire bikes, on snowmobiles or wearing snow shoes or cross-country skis.
In addition to the state- or federally-managed forest trails, staying at a Northeast Michigan B&B may put you near some great multi-use trails, such as:
- Northeastern State Trail, a 71-mile rail-trail through Alpena, Cheboygan and Presque Isle counties
- Northwestern State Trail, a 32-mile rail-trail connecting Mackinaw City with Petoskey
- Alpena to Hillman Trail, a 22-mile rail-trail connecting those two cities
- Huron Sunrise Trail, 8 miles, from south of Rogers City to the 40 Mile Point Lighthouse
- Pere Marquette Rail-Trail, 30 miles of asphalt, running east-west just north of the Mt. Pleasant city limit and
- the adjoining Pere Marquette State Trail, 53 miles, going west toward Baldwin in the Manistee National Forest
What about river travel or trout fishing in Northeast Michigan? Try the Au Sauble River between Grayling and Oscoda or its sleepier South Branch, which winds through the Mason Tract Wilderness Area. The Rifle River is popular, taking you from Alger south to Saginaw Bay. Venturing just west of I-75, you can paddle or fish for trout in the Sturgeon River, which runs primarily north-south to Indian River. Ask your Northeast Michigan B&B innkeeper for ideas on how to manage transportation.
Are you a diver? Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary has about 200 shipwrecks, more than most any other area in the Great Lakes.
If you prefer the more manicured terrain of a golf course, the Oscoda, East Tawas, Mt. Pleasant, and West Branch areas each offer multiple choices. Some of them back up to national forest or offer Lake Huron views. If you’re staying in Presque Isle, golf courses in Rogers City or Alpena are just up the road.
If your list of desirable things to do while staying at a Northeast Michigan B&B doesn’t involve specialized outdoor equipment or breaking a sweat, the area has lighthouses to view, scenic drives and overlooks, wine trails, craft beer, antiques hunting, great local eateries, art galleries, and more.