Friends and out-of-towners gather for sunset near Glen Arbor B&B and Cottages
Water-view, water-access or waterfront B&B? Start here
In Michigan, you’re never farther than six miles from a body of water, so it’s logical that you can find a waterfront bed and breakfast or a B&B set further back, with rooms offering commanding views of a lake.
Or a B&B with a stream or river running through or alongside the property. We’re looking at you, Goldberry Woods in Union Pier.
Or a B&B down the road from a world-renown trout river. Hanson House in Grayling.
Michigan stands out on the U.S. map, bordered as it is by so much water. Four of the Great Lakes touch our shores: Lake Erie, Lake Michigan, Lake Superior and Lake Huron. With more than 3,200 miles of shoreline, you can explore more than a hundred sandy beaches and many more miles of rocky or steep shoreline left craggy and oh-so-interesting by the retreating glaciers. That was a few years back.
For a Great Lakes waterfront bed and breakfast, consider Big Bay Point Lighthouse or Dapple-Gray B&B on Lake Superior, Huron House B&B, on Lake Huron, or The Spring Lighthouse in Elk Rapids, which sits on the shore of East Grand Traverse Bay. All have some rooms with direct lake views.
How about a waterfront bed and breakfast with frontage on an inland lake? You’ll always remember the sunrises and sunsets at Torch Lake B&B in Northwest Michigan. When you stay at 112-acre A Dove Nest B&B in Kingston, you’ll have English Lake practically to yourselves. At Presque Isle Lodge in Northeast Michigan, you’ll love the sunsets over Grand Lake and can walk or ride your bike to a Lake Huron beach and two lighthouses.
How about a getaway to a Great Lakes town with B&Bs from which you can walk to the harbor for concerts, ice cream, and more?
- Whether you go to Ludington to explore its history, lighthouses, or beaches or you’re planning to catch the car ferry to Wisconsin, you have three fine B&Bs to choose from in Ludington.
- At South Haven, Vintage Inn at Veritas Estate will be, for some, greater than walking distance to the harbor entrance, but you can hop on one of the inn’s many loaner bikes.
- On the Lake Huron side, check out our quality-assured inns in Lexington, Port Sanilac, and Port Austin.
Freighter-watching is a favorite Michigan activity. You can do that from from some rooms of Bay View B&B, which overlooks the Straits of Mackinac on Mackinac Island.
Other excellent bed and breakfasts overlooking water:
- Looking Glass Beachfront Inn in Grand Haven sits on a bluff overlooking Lake Michigan, a state park beach, and a lighthouse.
- Some rooms at the Hotel Saugatuck, Saugatuck offers views of Lake Kalamazoo across the street from the inn.
- Canfield House B&B, Onekama, overlooks Portage Lake, which connects to Lake Michigan.
- At House on the Hill B&B in Ellsworth, in season, you’ll dine on the front porch overlooking one in the Chain of Lakes and afterward can explore the lake by kayak, canoe or standup paddle board, all provided.
- Ginkgo Tree Inn in Mount Pleasant has rooms and a patio that overlook the Chippewa River and a park.
- From Chateau Chantal on Old Mission Peninsula, you can see both east and west Grand Traverse bays.
As you can see, Michigan has lots of choices here for combining a quality-assured bed and breakfast stay with ways to enjoy our plentiful waters.