Friends and out-of-towners gather for sunset near Glen Arbor B&B and Cottages
Water-view, water-access or waterfront B&B? Start here
In Michigan, you’re never farther than six miles from a body of water, so it’s logical that you can find a waterfront bed and breakfast or a B&B set further back, with rooms offering commanding views of a lake.
Or a B&B down the road from a world-renown trout river. Hanson House in Grayling.
Michigan stands out on the U.S. map, bordered as it is by so much water. Four of the Great Lakes touch our shores: Lake Erie, Lake Michigan, Lake Superior and Lake Huron. With more than 3,200 miles of shoreline, you can explore more than a hundred sandy beaches and many more miles of rocky or steep shoreline left craggy and oh-so-interesting by the retreating glaciers. That was a few years back.
For a Great Lakes waterfront bed and breakfast, consider Big Bay Point Lighthouse or Dapple-Gray B&B on Lake Superior, Huron House B&B, on Lake Huron, or The Spring Lighthouse in Elk Rapids, which sits on the shore of East Grand Traverse Bay. All have some rooms with direct lake views.
How about a waterfront bed and breakfast with frontage on an inland lake? You’ll always remember the sunrises and sunsets at Torch Lake B&B in Northwest Michigan. When you stay at 112-acre A Dove Nest B&B in Kingston, you’ll have English Lake practically to yourselves. At Presque Isle Lodge in Northeast Michigan, you’ll love the sunsets over Grand Lake and can walk or ride your bike to a Lake Huron beach and two lighthouses.
How about a getaway to a Great Lakes town with B&Bs from which you can walk to the harbor for concerts, ice cream, and more?
- Whether you go to Ludington to explore its history, lighthouses, or beaches or you’re planning to catch the car ferry to Wisconsin, you have three fine B&Bs to choose from in Ludington.
- At South Haven, Victoria Resort B&B and Cottages will be, for some, greater than walking distance to the harbor entrance, but you can hop on one of the inn’s many loaner bikes.
- On the Lake Huron side, check out our quality-assured inns in Lexington, Port Sanilac, and Port Austin.
Freighter-watching is a favorite Michigan activity. You can do that from from some rooms of Bay View B&B, which overlooks the Straits of Mackinac on Mackinac Island.
Other excellent bed and breakfasts overlooking water:
- Looking Glass Beachfront Inn in Grand Haven sits on a bluff overlooking Lake Michigan, a state park beach, and a lighthouse.
- Some rooms at the Hotel Saugatuck, Saugatuck, offer views of Lake Kalamazoo across the street from the inn.
- Canfield House B&B, Onekama, overlooks Portage Lake, which connects to Lake Michigan.
- At House on the Hill B&B in Ellsworth, in season, you’ll dine on the front porch overlooking one in the Chain of Lakes and afterward can explore the lake by kayak, canoe or standup paddle board, all provided.
- Ginkgo Tree Inn in Mount Pleasant has rooms and a patio which overlook the Chippewa River and a park.
- From Chateau Chantal on Old Mission Peninsula, you can see both east and west Grand Traverse bays.
As you can see, Michigan has lots of choices here for combining a quality-assured bed and breakfast stay with ways to enjoy our plentiful waters.