“Living Like a Local” in East Tawas, Mi
The “Mitten State” is quite a treasure, and I am the lucky one that gets to blog about all its beauty AND the wonderful Michigan Bed and Breakfasts found throughout the state. It’s interesting to look on a map and see that Michigan is the only state that touches four of the five Great Lakes, giving Michigan the longest freshwater coastline of any U.S. state. Natural beauty, passionate small business owners, historical sites, and many national and state parks make this a special place to visit! With so much information on the web, I thought it would be fun to include a blog series that comes direct from our innkeepers. After all, they are local Michiganders that know all of the details about the best way to experience their towns- including backroads, unique experiences, and their favorite eateries. We are calling the series- “Living Like a Local,” with the first blog coming your way from beautiful East Tawas.
East Tawas is a small but vibrant city on the mouth of Tawas Bay in Northeast Michigan. The cheerful and quaint downtown runs along Newman Street and features old fashion brick sidewalks with an eclectic blend of small shops, eateries, and entertainment.
With Lake Huron to the east, Tawas Bay to the south, and Huron National Forest to the northwest, there are many outdoor adventures to be had. From this special East Tawas bed and breakfast as a home base, it is easy to explore the area all seasons.
What makes Always a Holiday! B&B Special
This lovely Victorian Bed and Breakfast is quality assured by the Michigan Bed and Breakfast Association for a comfortable and perfect stay. Its central location on the fourth block of Newman Street allows easy access to great restaurants and fun shopping, as well as popular events and celebrations throughout the year. You can also venture less than five miles away from Newman Street and be at Tawas Point State Park and Lighthouse.
Guests often ask Innkeeper/owner Brenda Hawkins why she named her popular Michigan inn- Always a Holiday! Bed and Breakfast. The fun answer is that Brenda wanted to keep her name beginning at the top of the alphabet and also wanted it to describe the importance of having a great vacation that Europeans love to describe as “a holiday” and thus- Always a Holiday! Bed and Breakfast was born.
When asked what sets her bed and breakfast apart from all the rest, Brenda said, “it’s my proximity to the downtown area and being so close to the docks of Lake Huron. Newman Street is “the Street” where everything is happening, with just enough shopping and events to make it personal.”
Brenda is known for her great breakfasts. At MBBA, we love to ask, what are two of your guest’s favorite breakfasts?
1. French Toast Casserole rotates by season, but many guests ask for the peach version that includes a peach pie filling on the bottom with pecan encrusted topping.
2. Frittatas are always popular, and the ingredients rotate by season. Brenda loves to serve a side of her popular chunky corn beef hash filled with carrots, spinach, onions, and potatoes. #yumyum
Tips from your innkeeper at Always a Holiday! Bed and Breakfast
Some of Brenda’s favorite spots include having a casual meal at Route 23 Barbecue, riding a bike along the path to the Tawas Point Lighthouse, catching a ride on the AuSable River Queen, and enjoying the local talent at the Tawas Bay Players Community Theatre. When asked if Brenda is open year-round, she smiled and said officially, her booking system shows availability through the end of the year and closed from January- April. But if a guest calls and would like to come during the quiet season and her schedule allows- she loves to host them.
Exploring East Tawas
- Looking for a local hangout- head to Mr. Jack’ss Sports Bar & Grill, with outdoor seating and entertainment on some weekends. Great burgers and wings with Michigan draft beers.
- Mangos Mexican Cuisine and Tequila Bar for great Mexican fare and Margaritas.
- Social Oak Chop House has new owners with outdoor dining.
- Boat House Beer Co & Boozery is Located in Tawas City with views of Lake Huron and great pub fare.
- Sweet Treats- Check out the Village Chocolatier, with their hand-dipped chocolates, and the Tawas Bay Fudge Company, with dozens of creamy flavors.
Things to Do
The warm waters of Tawas Bay are ideal for all water spots. Charter a sailboat or try your hand at fishing -anglers will be delighted by the wide variety of fish found in Lake Huron and Tawas Bay. The nearby AuSable River is a popular spot for fly-fishing and is full of brown and rainbow trout.
- Relax on the beach at Tawas State Park
- Visit the Tawas Point Lighthouse, the sole representative of a true Victorian-era style station on the Great Lakes.
- Rent kayaks or paddle boats from the Tawas Bay Paddle Shack.
- Hike the Tawas Point Sandy Hook Nature Trail
- Check out the wildlife at the Tuttle March Wildlife Area
- Check out the views at AuSable River at Foote Pond Overlook
- Bring some binoculars and check out the birding at Saginaw Bay Birding Trail
- Check out the Lumberman’s Monument and learn some history and see some great views of the AuSable River.
- Enjoy a game of golf on one of the many courses with views of Lake Huron and Tawas Bay.
- Have a beach day and relax on one of the Many well-maintained beaches on Route 23 that runs along Tawas City, East Tawas, and Oscoda.
As Brenda mentioned earlier, Newman Street in East Tawas is the place to shop. Some of Brenda’s favorites are highlighted below:
- Mooney’s Ben Franklin is a treasured, old fashion five-and-dime store that opened in 1944 and is still a family business today.
- O’Connor’s, from furniture to clothing this retailer has had a presence in East Tawas for over 70 years.
- For a special present, check out the stunning fine jewelry at Branham’s and Blue Bear Jewelry.
- Looking for a fabulous outfit to finish off your holiday? Check out the fashions at The Ladies’ Room
Plan your trip to East Tawas and stay at the lovely Always a Holiday! Bed and Breakfast. All of the Michigan Bed and Breakfast Association inns are quality assured and inspected by independent reviewers that check for all the details to make sure you will have a wonderful stay.
The custom Google map below highlights easy references to all the places mentioned in this blog.
Happy Holidaying in East Tawas, Michigan!