Double-dark Chocolate Waffles with Bourbon Sauce
With Iron Fish Distillery 12 miles away from Bear Lake B&B in Northwest Michigan, it’s no wonder that innkeepers Greg and Cindi McPherson occasionally find ways to infuse their breakfast menu with some of the local spirits.
This decadent breakfast entree combines double-dark chocolate waffles with a bourbon sauce, topped with freshly whipped cream and sliced strawberries.
Make the waffles
2 large eggs, beaten
2 Tbs dark brown sugar
1 Tbs white sugar
3 Tbs melted butter
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 buttermilk at room temperature
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 tsp instant espresso powder
Dash of ground sea salt
3 oz dark baking chocolate, chopped finely
- In small bowl, blend together eggs, sugars, melted butter, room-temperature buttermilk and vanilla.
- In larger bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cocoa, espresso powder, and salt.
- Add egg mixture to dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Fold in chocolate, cover bowl, and let rest while waffle iron heats and sauce is made.
- Make waffles according to directions, using added butter to prepare the waffle maker.
- Keep prepared waffles warm in a 250-degree oven. Put them in one layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Serve with sliced strawberries or raspberries and the bourbon sauce. Top with freshly whipped cream, sweetened with confectioner’s sugar.
Make Iron Fish Bourbon Sauce
1 stick butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1/3 cup real maple syrup or honey
1/4 cup Iron Fish Distillery bourbon
Combine first four ingredients in saucepan. Bring to boil. Cook three minutes. Reduce heat and add bourbon. Keep warm until serving.