A Michigan autumn fires up ALL the senses.
See the leaves change colors.
Feel the cooler breezes.
Hear the crunch of leaves on a wooded path.
But there’s a moment — repeated almost daily at bed and breakfasts all over the two peninsulas — when ALL the senses come together in celebration of a Michigan autumn. It is the moment when an innkeeper says, “I made this for you,” alerting your senses to the sight, taste, smell and touch of something delicious that you’ll savor even more because of the season.
This video celebrates entrees and side dishes served at Michigan B&B and featuring apples, pears, and pumpkin, all darlings of the state’s fall harvest.
Made you feel hungry, didn’t it? Start here to check out the many options for a fall getaway.
Scroll down for a list of the inns and innkeepers whose creations are featured in the video. They include Saravilla B&B’s Rochelle O’Shay, whose assortment of pumpkin, pear and apple muffins is seen atop this page. Along with her duties as a full-time emergency room nurse, Rochelle is the official baker for the Alma bed and breakfast she owns with her husband Kelly. Breakfasts for guests are prepared by Kelly, who has three decades of restaurant experience in mid-Michigan.
Michigan B&Bs rock fall colors starting at the front door
Click on a photo to learn more about that bed and breakfast.
How did B&B innkeeper Jan Smith do this?
All the B&Bs and innkeepers featured in the video
The Michigan Bed and Breakfast Association counts many fine and innovative cooks and bakers among our members. Here are the members participating in this visual feast celebrating the tastes of a Michigan autumn. In order of their appearance. Click the inns’ names for more information about what the B&B offers.
- Apple Butter by Gail Gotter, LogHaven B&B, West Branch
- Baked Apples Roses by Ruth Andrus, Leonard at Logan House, Grand Rapids
- Caramel Apple Strata by Laura Cavender, Glen Arbor B&B and Cottages, Glen Arbor
- German Apple Pancakes by Bob Alderink, Ludington House B&B, Ludington
- Apple Cobbler by Darci Bartlett, Spring Lighthouse, Elk Rapids
- Apple Danish by Noelene Wilson, Sherwood Forest B&B, Douglas
- Pear-Almond Dutch Baby by Holly Wilson, Bellaire B+B, Bellaire
- Rum Raisin Pears by Jenn Davenport, Judson Heath Colonial Inn, Saugatuck
- Bosc Pear poached in spiced wine and cranberry juice by Bob Alderink, Ludington House B&B, Ludington
- Walnut Pear Coffee Cake by Betsy DeWaard, Inn at Old Orchard Road, Holland
- Baked Pear by Greg and Kjersten Offenbecker, Nordic Pineapple B&B, St. Johns
- Poached Pears Baked in Puff Pastry by Jan Smith, Maple Cove B&B, Leonard
- Pumpkin Waffles by Greg and Kjersten Offenbecker, Nordic Pineapple B&B, St. Johns
- Pumpkin Buttermilk Waffles with salted maple caramel sauce by Bob Alderink, Ludington House B&B, Ludington
- Mile-High Pumpkin Pancakes with bacon pecan streusel by Holly Wilson, Bellaire B+B, Bellaire
- Pumpkin Bread by Jan Smith, Maple Cove B&B, Leonard
- Seasonal muffin assortment by Rochelle O’Shay, Saravilla B&B, Alma
If you can get away to experience the sights, sounds, smells, and tastes of a Michigan autumn, by all means #staysmallstaysafe at a clean, comfortable, quality-assured bed and breakfast.